The first time I tried making these steamed brownies was when I decided to experiment on ‘baking’ earlier this year, ie. a few weeks before making Anya’s 6th birthday cake.
[The recipe was given by a friend last year, AND was given by another friend again in February! Thank you ladies!]
Since then, I’ve tried making these from time to time
[The result has almost always been pretty good, thanks to the simple-to-make-and-NO-OVEN-needed recipe!]
AND, kids in general LOVE these brownies, btw!
I’ve had people asking me about the ‘Steamed Brownies’, and so, as promised, here I present to you, my very first RECIPE post.
[Disclaimer: I'm still a beginner in baking, and below is the recipe I got from my friends. I've reduced the amount of sugar and chocolate powder in the recipe below though]
- 100 gr Self-Raising Flour / Plain Flour / Cake Flour
- 180 gr Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 25 gr Chocolate Powder (the yummier the chocolate, eg. Hershey’s, the better the taste!)
- 1/2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 150 ml Cooking Oil
- Chocolate Rice for the layer (I read somewhere that you can also try using grated cooking chocolate)
1. Prepare the wok filled with boiling water. Make sure the wok is large and deep enough to hold the baking pan, and that there’s enough water (water level should NOT be any less than 2cm below the baking pan)
2. Mix sugar and eggs well
3. Sift : Self-Raising Flour, Chocolate Powder, Baking Powder, Vanilla, Salt. Pour into no.2 and mix well.
4. Once mixed thoroughly, pour in cooking oil
5. Grease the baking pan with butter, and place a layer of baking paper on the inside of pan (some people go without baking paper and just grease the pan well)
6. Pour half of the batter to the greased baking pan.
(Top photo: As you can see, the layer of chocolate was more towards the ‘top’ than nicely placed in the middle, and it’s because I poured ‘too much’ in the first half of the steaming!)
7. Make sure that the water in the wok is BOILING HOT, before placing the baking pan into the wok.
8. Cover the lid of the wok with a kitchen towel (recommended!), and place the lid on (The towel will absorb any steam that collects on top from dripping onto the cake)
9. Steam for about 15 minute on medium flame (Try to NOT open the lid until the end of 15 mins. I did peep a few times the first time I tried steaming to make sure the water didn’t dry up BEFORE the 15mins was up!)
10. Add Chocolate Rice (or grated cooking chocolate), and pour the remaining batter.
11. Put the lid back on and steam for another 15 mins.
That is it!
And very most likely, the steamed brownies will turn out well!
Have a go at it yourself …
Happy Steaming! *smile*
PS: Do share with me how it turns out if you’re giving it a go yeah! And if your photos are on Facebook, please do TAG me! Would love to see how it goes for you!