Making : Nemo and Jellyfish lanterns
The Mid-Autumn festival is here for the whole month, and you get to see lanterns everywhere these days!
And so, we made our very own (non-glowing) lanterns too today!
Vai got a Nemo, and Anya made a jellyfish lantern!
What we used:
- Four paper plates (you’d need two for each lantern)
- Two styrofoam cups (actually, they can be any cups, even those from McDonald’s or Starbucks)
- A pair of disposable wooden chopsticks
- Crepe paper for the jellyfish wiggly bits
- Scissors, glue, masking tape, crayons
(for this one, I did most of the work since Vai is yet to know how to ‘properly’ colour and draw)
- Drew the shape on the paper plates and cut them out (I referred to our Finding Nemo DVD cover!)
(remember: the shape on the 2nd plate needs to be a ‘mirror image’ of the first one)
- Cut out two “fins”, using leftover paper
- Coloured the body and fins (I coloured most of them first and let Vai scribbled on them afterwards)
- Poked the bottom of the cup, inserted the string, tied one end to a leftover paper (so it’s ‘stuck’ when the kids hold the lantern up), and the other end to a chopstick
- Used masking tapes to stick the two sides of the fish together and onto the cup
And that’s it!!
(This one is simpler to make)
- Drew a roundish shape on two paper plates (these will be the ‘top’ of the jellyfish)
- Coloured one side of the plates
- Cut strips of crepe paper
- Stick them all around the top of the cup
- Poked the bottom of the cup (repeat the final two steps as above)
And you’ve got yourself a jellyfish lantern!!
The kids got pretty excited with them. And I’m happy with them too!
Anya and Vai swung their lanterns around (not that gently, I must say) and now we have chopsticks sticking out from our bedroom drawers with a little clown fish and jellyfish hanging down from them!
Anyway, happy lantern-making!